72 Aviation 1/72 RCAF Dehavilland Chipmunk #18035
The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum’ s Chipmunk, #18035 was built at Downsview, Ontario in 1956. The aircraft served with Canadian Forces Training Command until 1971, when it was purchased by John Weir, one of the Museum’s founders. John had been a fighter pilot and a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft III, the camp made famous by the “Great Escape” of 76 Allied aircrew in 1944. He donated the aircraft in 1973 to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum where it still continues to fly.